How to Get to Sleep Faster and Better
At various times, nearly everyone will experience insomnia. While there are many causes, there are also many possible insomnia solutions. Many of these are natural and have very little, if any, side effects. Treatment for insomnia may be necessary, but trying some natural sleep remedies can also be very helpful.
Before looking at some ways to help you fall asleep, it is a good idea to understand what it is that might be behind your not being able to fall asleep. There are a number of habits that you might have that could prevent you from falling asleep naturally at bedtime.
- Anxiety and stress – When your mind is focused on problems, it can rob you of sleep. This is especially true if the anxiety and stress are caused by worry, grief, or anger.
- Medications – Various medications can easily cause you to stay awake beyond your normal bedtime. This is especially true of some pain relievers and other products that contain caffeine, such as weight loss pills, diuretics, and more.
- Afternoon naps – If you take naps in the afternoon, it may interfere with your being naturally tired at night. If naps are needed, keep them short – about 20 minutes.
- Medical problems – Many medical conditions are apt to prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep. This includes allergies, asthma, acid reflux, hyperthyroidism, and more. Pain will also keep you awake.
- Caffeinated Drinks – Drinking a caffeinated drink at night can prevent you from going to sleep later on. If caffeine affects you, it is a good idea to stop drinking it at least six hours before bedtime.
- Electronics – If you use electronics late at night, this can keep some people awake for a while. It stimulates the mind and keeps it active longer. Putting them away about an hour and a half before bedtime can help you relax.
- Alcohol – An alcoholic drink may help you relax and get to sleep, but it will not let you stay asleep. You will wake up repeatedly during the night.
Create a Regular Sleep Time – one way to help cure insomnia is to create a regular time for sleep. Going to sleep at the same time each day helps set your body clock, making it easier to go to sleep. Sleeping in on weekends can ruin it.
Exercise Regularly – Getting in a weekly exercise program will help your body feel more relaxed at night. Exercise should be for about 30 minutes a day for a total of 150 minutes each week. Avoid exercising less than three hours before bedtime. It can also help reduce depression.
How to Treat Insomnia
Another possible problem why you feel like you have not had enough sleep when you wake up could be sleep apnea. Many people who have this problem are not aware of it. One of the key symptoms is being in bed long enough for a good night’s sleep, but not receiving any quality rest or refreshment from it. Snoring is another symptom.
If the other person in your bed says that you snore, or stop breathing during the night, you may have sleep apnea. There are many possible health risks associated with it, so getting it under control could be a real lifesaver.
Before treatment can be given, you must be tested for it. This will require a sleep study, which means going to sleep with monitors hooked up to your body. Some sleep studies can be done at home, but they are not as accurate as one done in a sleep lab.
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
One of the main options for treating sleep apnea is a CPAP machine. These machines supply oxygen to the person with sleep apnea through a face mask that is connected to a hose. This does help some people, but many find it a problem because it can come off in the night. Others find the air pressure uncomfortable.
An alternative that many people are finding working well for them is a dental appliance for sleep apnea. This device is made by a dentist for people who have a mild form of sleep apnea. It works by positioning your jaw so that your airway stays clear, enabling you to get sufficient air all night. It will also stop snoring.
An oral appliance for sleep apnea can be used as either a stand-alone device, or it can also work in conjunction with your CPAP machine. When used with a CPAP machine, less air pressure is needed.
If you live in the Farmers Branch TX area, you can get a custom-made dental appliance for sleep apnea from Champion Dental expert dentists. In addition to providing snoring remedies, we have helped many people sleep better and enjoy a better quality of life. You can contact our office today at (214) 747-0763 for more information or to set up a consultation.